ESS Advising Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Below are some FAQs for students in Ecosystem Science and Sustainability (ESS) programs. Other policies and procedures for Colorado State University (CSU) and ESS can also be found in the Undergraduate Advising Guides available on the ESS Advising and Student Resources page.

To change your major/minor or add an minor, please visit the ESS Advising and Student Resources page for information on how to make an appointment with an ESS Academic Success Coordinator.

To obtain your advising code, you should meet with either your ESS Academic Success Coordinator or your ESS Faculty Advisor. If you do not have an ESS Faculty Advisor, please make an appointment with your ESS Academic Success Coordinator from the ESS Advising and Student Resources page. If you do have an ESS Faculty Advisor but have been unsuccessful in reaching the advisor by telephone or email, you may also make an appointment with your ESS Academic Success Coordinator via the ESS Advising and Student Resources page.

There are several resources to find out your class and curriculum requirements.

Keep in mind, there are also All University Core Curriculum (AUCC) Requirements for CSU students. The AUCC Requirements are listed in the CSU General Catalog, and the specific courses that fulfill each requirement can be found in the Advising@CSU Student Resources for Undergraduate Majors and Programs or by clicking here.

Log into your RAMweb account, and click on Menu at top right.  Under Records, click on Degree Progress Audit. Then click Run Audit and click View Submitted Results to view recently requested audit reports.  Click on the link for the audit report you want to review. This will show your degree progress audit report, which lists the classes you have taken, your “in-progress” coursework, and the classes that you still need to complete.

It is not necessary to complete all your coursework at CSU. However, if you want to ensure that courses you may take or have taken at other institutions will transfer to CSU and count for your degree program, please consult a department Academic Success Coordinator and Transferology. Not every institution has previously been evaluated by the CSU Transfer Office, so you may not be able to find your desired institution. As long as courses come from an accredited college or university, are not considered remedial (pre-college level) or trade courses, and you receive a C- or above, the credits will transfer in to CSU.

If you need assistance navigating Transferology, contact your Academic Success Coordinator using the ESS Student Resources and Advising page or call (970) 491-5589. You can also find specific transfer evaluation information on the Registrar’s website. If you would like an evaluation of your transcripts done before you consider applying to CSU, you can contact the Transfer Office by emailing and request an unofficial transfer audit. Otherwise, the Registrars office will evaluate all transcripts you submit with your application to CSU.

f a course that you took at another institution is deemed to be equivalent to a course offered at CSU, then it will transfer in as the CSU prefix and number. If, however, a course is listed with a ++ in the course number, it means the credits have transferred in to CSU, but there is not a one-to-one match with a CSU course. These are called “wildcards.” Please refer to the Registrar’s website for more information on interpreting transfer courses. There are a few things you should know about wild cards: If you feel the wildcard class is sufficiently similar to a course offered at CSU, you can request to have the course re-evaluated. Contact our ESS Academic Success Coordinators for more details.  If you feel a wildcard class is sufficiently similar to a course required in your program of study, you may consult with our ESS Academic Success Coordinators about the feasibility of substituting the wildcard for the required course.

Unfortunately, the registration system does not recognize wild cards.  For example, if you have a wild card Biology class and you are trying to register for a course with a Biology prerequisite, the registration system will give you a prerequisite error as it won’t recognize that you’ve met the required prerequisite. In these instances, you’ll need to contact the course instructor to explain your situation and request an override.

All-University Core Curriculum (AUCC) requirements provide a solid foundation for undergraduate studies for all CSU students. The AUCC requirements are listed in the CSU General Catalog, and the specific courses that fulfill each requirement can be found therein or by clicking here.

To search current offerings of AUCC classes in the Registration system on RAMweb, use “Advanced Search” and highlight all of the course prefixes. Then under “Attribute Type” highlight the AUCC Category you want to search/satisfy. RAMweb will bring up an alphabetical list of all classes offered that semester fulfilling that particular AUCC requirement.

All entering students are required to take the Colorado State University Mathematics Placement Tool (MPT) unless they have already earned transferable University credit for a course in college-level mathematics. Additional information can be found here.

The Entry Level Math (ELM) tutorial is a math preparation program available to students who have already completed the MPE at least one time and is an alternative method for satisfying the prerequisite for entry-level math courses such as MATH 117. More information on this alternative pathway can be found here.  Sign up online.

The Precalculus Tutorial is an alternate way to earn PLACEMENT out of MATH 117, MATH 118, MATH 124, MATH 125, or MATH 126.  This tutorial is intended for incoming students who must meet the prerequisites for courses such as MATH 155 or MATH 160.  If you do not NEED one of these courses for your degree program or your major requires credit for MATH 117, MATH 118, MATH 124, MATH 125, or MATH 126, this Tutorial is probably not your best option.  YOU CANNOT EARN COURSE CREDIT IN ANY MATHEMATICS COURSE BY COMPLETING THIS TUTORIAL.

Students are encouraged to meet with an Academic Success Coordinator if you have registration questions. If you are having trouble or are receiving error messages that you cannot troubleshoot, copy and paste the error message into an email. Be aware that some sections of courses are restricted to specific groups of students; clicking on the course title link (in the new registration system) or CRN (course reference number, in the old registration system) will take you to further information about the course including special requirements to register for that section. In addition, many classes have required additional components such as lab and/or recitation in addition to the lecture. If the component is required, you will not be able to register for one component without the other(s). You must select both or all three components at the same time in order to register for the course.  Using the “linked” button in the new registration system will display the appropriate sections you may choose from.

For registration help documents and videos on how to use the new registration system, visit the Registrar’s Registration webpage.

When a class you would like to take is full, the first thing you should do is sign up for the waitlist. Students may sign up for the waitlist when they attempt to register for a section that has reached its capacity. The first student on the Registration Waitlist is notified via email or text message (if the student has requested this feature) when a space becomes available. This student then has 24 hours to register for the course. If the student does not register for the course within the 24 hour time frame, they will be dropped from the Registration Waitlist for that section and the next student on the list will be notified.

You must meet prerequisite requirements to be able to waitlist a course – you may need to contact the instructor for a prerequisite override to be able to get on the waitlist. You can view the Registrar’s Waitlist FAQ page. You may also attempt to get into the class by requesting an override from the instructor.

If you have an extenuating circumstance that might warrant contacting the instructor of a course that is full, keep these tips in mind:

  • Be sure you can clearly articulate your desire for the override (i.e. why you need the course this specific semester) – be brief!
  • If there are multiple sections of the course, include the section number and the CRN number.
  • Be sure that in any communication with the instructor, you include your first and last name and CSU ID number.

Regular course overrides can be requested from the course instructor; please contact them directly. Course overrides for ESS Variable Credit courses (such as independent study or internship courses) are requested through Nikki Foxley in conjunction with the supervising faculty member.

Looking for curriculum check sheets listing requirements for our majors or minor?  Visit our Undergraduate Curriculum page.  Looking for a graduation planning worksheet?  Visit our ESS Advising and Student Resources page.

Many forms essential to your academic studies (appeals, repeat/delete, transfer re-evaluation, veterans forms, etc.) can also be found on the Registrar’s Office Forms website.

The Institute for Learning and Teaching (TILT) has a list of tutorial resources and/or academic and study skills workshops.

The Science and Mathematics Tutorial Hall is a welcoming environment for students to increase understanding of math and science. Their friendly staff can clarify key concepts by answering questions, working through problems, and reviewing material. They are located on the 2nd floor in the TILT Building and have open hours Sun-Thurs from 5-10pm; call (970) 491-5365, or email for more information.

The Writing Center offers a free, confidential service with no appointment necessary to all writers within the CSU and Fort Collins community. Each session typically lasts about a half hour. They also offer workshops throughout the semester. They are located in Eddy Hall, Room 6; call (970) 491-0222 for more information or visit their website.

The Calculus Center is a resource to improve student learning and academic performances for all students in CSU calculus courses. The help desk is open to students on a drop-in basis during our regular office hours.

A wide variety of tutoring resources may also be found on the Tutoring @ CSU website.

Counseling Services offers students with confidential assistance during their time at the university. They offer counseling and academic services, testing for learning disabilities, outreach, and prevention and substance abuse programs. If you would like to speak with a counselor, please visit 123 Aylesworth NW or call (970) 491-6053.

Any student who is enrolled at Colorado State University and who self-identifies with the Student Disability Center as having a disability is eligible for support. Support and services are offered to students with functional limitations due to visual, hearing, learning, or mobility disabilities, as well as to students who have specific physical or mental health conditions due to epilepsy, diabetes, asthma, AIDS, psychiatric diagnoses, etc. Students who are temporarily disabled are also eligible for support and assistance. The offices are located at 100 General Services Building; or call (970) 491-6385 for more information.

The DAY (Drugs, Alcohol and You) Program, located within Counseling Services, consists of a wide spectrum of services designed to meet the needs of students who are facing issues related to alcohol and drug use. Visit 239 Aylesworth, or call (970) 491-4693 for more information.

The Student Resolution Center provides students, faculty and staff with advice and referrals related to problem solving skill development, mentoring, and mediation of parties who are in conflict. Call (970) 491-7165 for additional information. The office is located at 325 Aylesworth NW.

You may contact the ESS Department at (970) 491-5589 or an ESS Academic Success Coordinator from the ESS Advising and Student Resources page.