ESS Undergraduate Internships and Research

Are you seeking opportunities to expand your learning out of the classroom, gain additional professional and technical experience in ecosystem, sustainability and watershed science, and contribute to addressing critical issues while completing your degree?


Consider an Internship or Research Placement!

CSU Career Center and WCNR Career Services

The CSU Career Center Handshake platform connects students with employers through online job and internship postings, on-campus interviews, career events, and more. Create a free Handshake account today.

For college-specific career guidance, please visit WCNR Career Services, which includes career resources to aid in exploring careers, job searching, and more.

Additional resources include the weekly NRCC Newsletter sent out to all Warner students. If interested in subscribing, please email Leanna Biddle, our Career Education Manager.

ESS Professional Development & Internship (PD&I) News

The Department of Ecosystem Science and Sustainability (ESS) publishes regular email newsletters on professional development, research placements, and internship opportunities available on campus, locally, regionally and even nationally and internationally.

All ESS and Watershed Science majors and minors are eligible to subscribe. If you are not currently receiving the ESS PD&I news posts, send an email to Kaye Holman (ESS Academic Success/Internship Coordinator) to be added to the subscriber list.

SUPER: Skills for Undergraduate Participation in Ecological Research

The Skills for Undergraduate Participation in Ecological Research (SUPER) Program is managed by the Department of Ecosystem Science and Sustainability and partners with the Natural Resource Ecology Lab (NREL). It is open to ALL students at CSU with an interest in ecological research. Students apply to participate in the program in fall and continue their placement through the spring semester. They earn academic credit while also:

  • Strengthening critical thinking skills,
  • Increasing scientific literacy, and
  • Gaining real-world experience in ecological research.

East African International Research Experience for Students

The Colorado State University East African International Research Experience for Students (EA-IRES) is hosted by the Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory (NREL) and in partnership with the University of Nairobi, Kenya.  The goal of the EA-IRES program is to give qualified undergraduate students an opportunity to build their experience and qualifications for conducting independent research.  The program is geared toward students who would like to enter into scientific and research-oriented careers or to apply to graduate school once they have completed their undergraduate degrees.

This fellowship provides five qualifying CSU sophomores and juniors with the opportunity to study dryland social-ecological systems in Colorado and Kenya.  This one-year student-driven program begins with two semesters of training in Colorado on the basics of research, drylands and socio-ecological systems and the writing of a research proposal, and culminates in a five-week field research experience in East Africa.

The EA-IRES program will include professional development, as well as cultural and social activities inside and outside the classroom in both Colorado and Africa.  The program is funded by the National Science Foundation’s International Research Experience for Students (IRES) program and will follow CSU’s Office of International Programs’ organizational, health and safety, protocols.  Travel and modest living expenses for the field experience will be covered by the fellowship, and participating students will receive an additional fellowship award.

Fellows participate in the Skills for Undergraduate Participation in Ecological Research (SUPER) program and a drylands seminar course, completing mentored research proposal development in the 2017-2018 academic year.  In Summer 2018, students will complete their field research experience in Africa earning credit through ESS 495 Independent Study.  The courses provide opportunities to engage in research, and to prepare a research proposal on a topic of socio-ecological interest to be investigated in Africa.

Study Abroad Placements

The CSU Education Abroad Office provides comprehensive information on study abroad placements for students, including programs offering Research or Internship opportunities.

The Department of Ecosystem Science and Sustainability is happy to announce two new study abroad programs led by our own faculty, now taking applications for participation!

The Department has also created a list of recommended programs for students in our majors:

Experiential learning opportunities in the U.S. and abroad can be considered through placement in programs such as:

All of these programs provide a mix of academic and field-based experiences. Students who submit a Transfer Credit Plan for Undergraduate Education Abroad to Education Abroad for such programs may be able to earn academic credit toward their ESS or Watershed Science degrees.
Visit the Education Abroad Students page to learn more and Get Started! Also, check out Education Abroad’s Upcoming Events postings on their website homepage for Information Sessions on Study Abroad as well as Financial Aid/Scholarship Workshops to fund your international placement experience.

Integrative Agroecology & Sustainability Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship

The USDA NIFA Integrative Agroecology and Sustainability Research and Extension Experience for Undergraduates (REEU) at Colorado State University (CSU) provides research placements for college-level sophomores and juniors to participate in work addressing complex challenges to global food security and environmental change. In Summer 2018, student fellows will engage in eight weeks of research augmented with professional development opportunities.

Subscribe to *FREE* Listservs and Other Resources to Learn about Additional Opportunities

CSU Student Sustainability Center – Green Bulletin: Weekly news posts. Subscribe at the bottom of the homepage.

Ecological Society of America – ECOLOG-L: Posts forwarded daily. Be prepared to receive up to 40 emails/days during high volume periods.

Environmental Job Alert Bulletin: Weekly news posts. Subscribe or view posted listings from their homepage, too.

Conservation Job Board: Jobs in Conservation and Environmental sectors. Subscribe or view posted listings from their homepage, too.

Cool Works Job Board: Jobs in cool places with an emphasis on the outdoors. Subscribe or view posted listings from their homepage, too.