Welcome! If you are planning to visit the Department of Geosciences or the Warner College of Natural Resources, here are a few items that may help you find us. Please fell free to call our office at 970-491-7826 or 970-491-5661 if you have any questions or need further directions. We look forward to seeing you.
The Department of Geosciences is located in rm 322 of the Michael Smith Natural Resources Building at 400 University Drive, Fort Collins, CO 80523.
Our building is located at the heart of the CSU campus, near the Lory Student Center and Library. You can enter the campus from College Ave on University Drive or Pitkin Ave, or from Laurel Drive on Oval Ave. Directions to campus can be found at the link below.
Fort Collins is served across the city by numerous low-stress bike routes, trails and lanes that provide efficient access to the campus core. Bicycle commuting can be a great alternative to driving to campus and the local area. If you are visiting Fort Collins, consider renting, borrowing or bringing your bike to get around town, the CSU campus, or even one of our great local mountain bike trails. We are a bike friendly town!
There are several options for visitor parking on campus. Please see link for information from CSU Parking Services. A few things to keep in mind:
- Parking permits are required between 8am to 4pm weekdays.
- Permits can be purchased through Parking Services.
- Invited visitors & speakers, please contact the Geosciences department office for permit options, 970-194-7826 or 970-491-5661.
- Because of the very large number of visitors to campus on this days, football game day parking is highly restricted; please contact the Geosciences department office (phone numbers above) for specific information if you are visiting on a game day.
- Short term parking is available in ‘V’ lots. These have pay per hour parking kiosks. Please note time limits for these lots, often 1.5 hour maximum, renewable on site (in other words, you need to feed the meter every 1.5 hours).
- Parking after 4pm is free in most parking lots, please make sure you check the signs in the lot before you leave your car there.
- Parking on the weekends is also free, except for football game days (please see above).
Fort Collins Transfort and Colorado State University have partnered to bring numerous bus transit routes to campus that make your visit easy without having to find a parking spot. Bus routes that come to the Lory Student Center or University Station (MAX Route) are both a short walk to the Michael Smith Natural Resources Building. Check times and routes below.
If you are staying overnight, there are quite a few hotels to choose from along with a wide variety of AirBnb options. Below are some hotels recommended by CSU but most hotels in the Fort Collins area are within easy reach of the department.
Two hotels within walking distance of campus.
Hilton – Fort Collins, 425 W Prospect Rd, Fort Collins, CO 80526.
Best Western University Inn, 914 S College Ave, Fort Collins, CO 80524.
Two others are a quick bus ride from Downtown Fort Collins via the Max Bus System, a rapid transit line that stops on campus. The Max is also a good way to get downtown for dinner, drinks or other venues.
The Elizabeth Hotel, 111 Chestnut Street, CO 80524.
The Armstrong Hotel, 259 S College Ave, Fort Collins, CO 80524
Many more are just a short drive to campus, city bus, or Max. Here are a few:
Fort Collins Marriott, 350 E Horsetooth Rd, Fort Collins, CO 80525
Quality Inn & Suites University, 4001 South Mason St. Fort Collins, CO 80525