The goal of the Counselor-in-Training (CIT) program is to provide an opportunity for teens to develop leadership and teaching skills in a fun, inclusive environment, while providing summer camp participants with positive role models.
- Be 14 (have completed 8th grade) – 17 years old
- Be willing to learn in a fast-paced environment
- Be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Have reliable transportation on the days they wish to volunteer
- Commit to volunteering a minimum of 20 hours throughout the summer
- Have a passion for working with young children and the outdoors
- Attend CIT informational meeting with parent/guardian in April (time and date TBD)
- Attend the CIT training in late May/early June (time and date TBD)
- CITs will be expected to adhere to all public health guidelines in place during summer camp
This volunteer program allows CITs to work with younger campers in order to develop leadership and teaching skills. CITs will set personal goals at the beginning of the summer, which they will work towards throughout their volunteer experience. Tasks may include helping with daily planning and supervision of camp, leading games and short lessons and assisting with setting up and putting away camp supplies. First-time CITs will work with the youngest group in each camp, students ages 6-9 years old while returning CITs may work with older students, ages 9-12 years old.
A maximum of two CITs will be accepted per camp week. CITs will commit to volunteering for at least half of each day of camp; a minimum of 4 hours per day, Monday-Friday. During the application process, CIT applicants will be asked during which camps they prefer to volunteer. A schedule will be put together based on all applicants’ requests and will be completed by May 1. Please review the Summer Day Camp schedule prior to completing the CIT application.
Applications are not yet open for Summer 2024. Please check back in this January to apply!
Applications will be due in mid March and be reviewed during late March. References will be contacted to inform our decision-making process. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance status by April 14 and an informational meeting will be scheduled with accepted CITs and a parent/guardian in late April.
Please contact us with any questions about the CIT program.