Xi Sigma Pi
To see a full club schedule for this semester, click on the Activities tab.
- Secure and maintain a high standard of scholarship in natural resources education
- Encourage the advancement of the natural resources profession
- Promote a fraternal spirit among those engaged in activities related to the natural resources
- Service projects
- Guest speakers
- You’ve earned the opportunity to be in it!
- Great opportunity to network with other students, faculty, researchers, and professionals from different fields
- Eligible for Regional Xi Sigma Pi Scholarship
- Membership is a great resume builder
- Potential edge for employment opportunities over non-members
Since its creation at the turn of the 20th century, Xi Sigma Pi has become one of the most well-known natural resources and forestry honors societies today. Xi Sigma Pi was originally founded at the University of Washington on November 24, 1908, and is now comprised of over 40 chapters across the USA and Canada. In addition, Xi Sigma Pi has recently been recognized as a member of the Association of College Honors Societies.
The Omicron Chapter at Colorado State University was established in 1943. While Xi Sigma Pi was initially intended to be solely a forestry honors society here at Colorado State University, we have expanded our chapter to acknowledge the hard work and dedication put forth by students of ALL natural resources fields. Our membership represents the vast diversity of individuals present within the Warner College of Natural Resources at Colorado State University.
Xi Sigma Pi Membership
Students who receive nomination letters have been nominated for XSP, but in order to achieve membership they must:
- Attend two meetings and participate in the highway cleanup
- Construct a PLAQUE with the XSP insignia and acquire faculty signatures
- Have a basic knowledge of history and aims of XSP
- Pay a one-time, lifetime membership fee at initiation ($35)
Xi Sigma Pi Plaque
A plaque must meet the following requirements:
- It must be made out of wood (be creative).
Using a wood burner, etch the Xi Sigma Pi insignia onto the plaque (see Xi Sigma Pi home page)You can print out the image and use a ballpoint pen to trace the image onto the wood
NOTE: Only 5 items need be on your plaque:
- Fir Tree
- Crescent at the base of the tree
- Year: 1908
- Xi, Sigma, and Pi
- Pi and Alpha in the Oval
- On your plaque, collect at least 3 signatures of Warner College professors/instructors.
- vigorous life, typical of youth,
- the general study of forestry which is the original conception upon which the society was founded.
The crescent on which the fir tree stands is the symbol of Pallas Athene, the Greek goddess of wisdom and patroness of the arts and industries.
The first letters of the Greek goddess’s name.
- Xi: Eternal Friendship
- Sebus: Honor
- Para: Earnest Endeavour
Xi Sigma Pi Events
Meetings: Thursdays (Feb 11, Feb 25, March 10, March 24, April 7, April 21) @ 5:00 – 6:00 pm
- Meeting Location: 127 Forestry (except April 7th in Forestry 212)
- Food and beverages will be served
Wood burning – April 26th (Tuesday) and April 28th (Thursday) @ 5:00 pm
- Location: 127 Forestry
- Wood burners will be provided, bring your own fun piece of wood!
- Food will be served
Initiation – Wednesday, May 4th @ 6:30 – 8:30 pm
- Location: Rocky’s House
- Bring plaque, dues ($35.00)
- There will be a Google sign up sheet sent prior to the initiation that will include a map to Rocky’s house